Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Painting friction map 1 month 1 week ago #981

• jayd
  • jayd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello

Carbon newbie here. Was wondering if we can paint friction map of the carbon cloth?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Painting friction map 1 month 1 week ago #983

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi jayd,

Unfortunately, we currently do not support painted friction.
I will check with the rest of the development team to see if that is something we could support in the future.
As soon as I know more, I will get back to you.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Painting friction map 1 month 1 week ago #984

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi jayd,

After talking this through, while it is possible to add support for painted friction, it is not a quick task.
Furthermore, it could have a noticeable impact on performance.

Do you mind explaining what exactly you are intending to use painted friction for?

For example, if you have a shirt which is made from different materials, then instead of painting friction (and all the other parameters), I would simulate it as a panelled garment, i.e. multiple cloths stitched together to form the shirt. Just like in real life.
Then each Carbon Cloth can have its own friction properties without having to paint it.
We have the Carbon Garment Processor node, which makes the setup much faster and easier for such use cases.
You can find more information in the documentation. There is also a tutorial.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Painting friction map 1 month 1 week ago #985

• jayd
  • jayd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Sebastian, 
Thanks for your prompt replies. 

Basically, I'm trying to simulate a shirt but with the sleeves having different friction values at the biceps and wrist/cuff area. I understand we can use constraint for this. But being the lazy guy that I'm, I just thought there might be a way to paint friction instead. And, many of us had this question as well, since we do get to paint all the other attribute maps(which, has been a headache for some to understand, what with the formula for base, range and detail(noob at maths as well :D)). Also, bind constraint sometimes acts weird, dunno why. eg: trying to bind the thigh area of  a trouser with the thigh, with radius value of 500, stiffness of .1, and viscocity of 1 still gives a very hard constraint. While someone else using the same setup(with the same length scale), gets a great result with 50, 1, 1. 

As for the parallel garment thing, every model is created by the modelling department following a set pipeline. So, kinda difficult to change that now. But, thats still a very helpful suggestion so will definitely keep in mind.

With that out of the way, I have to say, Kudos to the developers because carbon is a great solver and very fun to work with(while at times makes you want to pull out all your hairs :D).

Kind regards
Jay

Painting friction map 1 month 1 week ago #986

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Jay,

Basically, I'm trying to simulate a shirt but with the sleeves having different friction values at the biceps and wrist/cuff area. I understand we can use constraint for this. But being the lazy guy that I'm, I just thought there might be a way to paint friction instead.

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense.
If it was trivial we would have added it already 
I'll put it on the feature wish list but cannot make any promises for now.
It's a deceptively non-trivial task.

And, many of us had this question as well, since we do get to paint all the other attribute maps(which, has been a headache for some to understand, what with the formula for base, range and detail(noob at maths as well )).

Yes, it can be a bit tricky at first. Carbon does a few things differently to other solvers but there is a good reason why.
This just gives you the most flexibility.
There are two "easy" approaches to painted maps:
1) Painted Carbon Attribute Maps - a simple approach
2) Just set Base to 0, Range to 1 and paint the absolute values for each point. We don't clamp the value to 1, so you could paint 100000 if you wanted to.

Also, bind constraint sometimes acts weird, dunno why. eg: trying to bind the thigh area of  a trouser with the thigh, with radius value of 500, stiffness of .1, and viscocity of 1 still gives a very hard constraint. While someone else using the same setup(with the same length scale), gets a great result with 50, 1, 1. 

The parameters are per Bond, i.e. each connection of a point to the Collider. So having a Binding with 1 point will be weaker than having a Binding with 10000 points. It's somewhat like trying to lift a heavy weight with 1 single rubber band vs 10000 of the same rubber bands. You'll get a much stiffer behavior.

As for the parallel garment thing, every model is created by the modelling department following a set pipeline. So, kinda difficult to change that now. But, thats still a very helpful suggestion so will definitely keep in mind.

Makes sense. If you want to read up on the Garment Processor some more, here is some more information:  numerion-software.com/solutions/features/garment-workflows

With that out of the way, I have to say, Kudos to the developers because carbon is a great solver and very fun to work with(while at times makes you want to pull out all your hairs ).

Thank you very much.
We understand it is a steep learning curve when you get started with Carbon.
Please don't hesitate to reach out of you have any questions.
Between the forum, the documentation (comes with the plugin installer) and our YouTube channel ( www.youtube.com/@NumerionSoftware ) we try to cover a lot, but please let us know if you feel like something is missing.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Last edit: by Sebastian.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds