Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #959

• benji
  • benji's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all!
I'm having a spot of trouble using file textures for attributes. My UVs are laid out across multiple tiles, so I need to have separate files. However, when using maya's file node with UV Tiling mode enabled, a warning will display that the first file cannot be read. Maya itself can read the file, it does exist, but the warning is flagged and my cloth does not react as though reading the files. I also tried reading in each of the files individually with separate file nodes and layering them up with a Layered Texture node, and while that did clear the error flag, the result was still the same. The cloth's Draw Mode in Paint Map was solid green, same as when no map is applied (so I assume no data could be found?). I can apply each of the files individually and they work as expected, but of course it is applying the same map to every section, which is not the needed result. Any thoughts, or am I missing something? 
Working in maya 2022, plugin version 2.30.0
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #962

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Hi,

I have not tried this myself and will check with the team and investigate.
I'll report back early next week
Meanwhile, if you have a simple reproducible you could share, that would be great.
That way we can ensure we are testing for your specific use case.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #964

• benji
Hi Sebastian, 

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is a simple scene that should demonstrate what I'm talking about. However, I needed to make this from my personal machine that has an expired license, so I wasn't able to test it properly. Need to ask on Monday if and how I can upload files from my work machine, or knuckle down and buy a Carbon license myself. Also, the Maya version is 2023 and the carbon version is 2.29 instead, from a Windows 10 machine. Hope it helps!

Thanks again,
Benji

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #965

• benji
Hi Sebastian, 

Just checking the approved post, and not sure if I actually remembered to include the zip file, so just dropping it in here as a link instead. 

drive.google.com/file/d/1sw6tzVl4-6ngZED.../view?usp=drive_link

Also, probably should explain what is in there. 

Just to make life a little easier, I'm just using a single square plane copied three times. I have two UV sets, roughly matching what we would expect from an approved model. The first UV set for texturing, and a second set, in this case called 'panels', that would be the panels as laid out in Marvelous Designer. They are split across 3 tiles, one of which is in negative UV space, as can often be the case. What I should have included would be one of the panels laying across multiple UDIM tiles, but I forgot, sorry. However, when using a single image file, Carbon would sample the file across the multiple UDIMs even when a single panel was over a tile border without issue, so that should be fine. 
Back to the scene file. From left to right, the three panels are set up as such:
  1. On the left, a panel using texture files to drive Stretch Stiffness. It uses 3 file nodes and 3 place2dTexture nodes with frame offsets and wrapping disabled, layered together with a layeredTexture node to rebuild the UV tiles. This one should not throw an error, but does not seem to pick up any data from the files.
  2. In the middle, another panel using texture files for Stretch Stiffness. However, this uses a single file node, with maya's UV Tiling Mode enabled, set to source the three files. You may need to regenerate the preview on the file node to see them on the lambert shaders. This one will throw the 'file not found' error.
  3. On the right, a panel using Vertex attributes, with the expected result from the previous two panels (Very stretchy on the left, middling amount in the middle, and full stiffness on the right). 
What I also failed to mention previously was that we would also need a means of choosing which UV set to use in Carbon. Is there any such functionality currently? I haven't seen as such, but I'm still digging. 

Hope this makes sense. Do please let me know if I can explain anything a bit better, or can do anything to help. 

Thanks!

Benji

Last edit: by benji. Reason: Forgot to specify which panel throws a 'file not found' error. Just specifying from the original post for extra clarity.

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #966

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi benji,

Thanks so much for the files and the explanation. We will have a look today and report back later today how we are getting on and if we need anything else from you.

Need to ask on Monday if and how I can upload files from my work machine, or knuckle down and buy a Carbon license myself.

Depending on what you are using the Carbon license for on your personal machine, I am sure we can figure out an arrangement that works for all.
Why don't you email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll cc the right people from there.

Cheers,
Sebastian

The following user(s) said Thank You: benji

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #967

• benji
Hi Sebastian, 

Firstly, thank you for your help with a license, I greatly appreciate it. 

Just wanted to check in. Now that I have a license, the scene files I sent last night are crashing. Might just be something silly on my end, may need to do a system restart, but at least wanted to check in and see if you were also having issues or not. If so, I'll remake them quick. 

Thanks again!

Benji

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #968

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Benji,

Firstly, thank you for your help with a license, I greatly appreciate it. 

No worries, if you ever build some cool showcase or anything like that with Carbon, let us know and maybe we can feature it on our website if you want.

Just wanted to check in. Now that I have a license, the scene files I sent last night are crashing. Might just be something silly on my end, may need to do a system restart, but at least wanted to check in and see if you were also having issues or not. If so, I'll remake them quick. 

I get some crashes but I can work with it. I can see where the issues are around the texture evaluation. Trying to see if there is a different API we can use or another workaround. Seems like a Maya bug or oversight.
I'll keep you posted.

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #969

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Benji,

Just FYI, we are still investigating and are in contact with Autodesk as there might be an issue/bug in their API.
We will keep you posted on any and all updates.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 3 weeks ago #970

• benji
Hi Sebastian, 

Thank you for the update. Good grief, sorry for the hassle, but thank you very much for chasing it all the way up!

No worries, if you ever build some cool showcase or anything like that with Carbon, let us know and maybe we can feature it on our website if you want.

Also, thank you very kindly, a generous offer indeed! I'll be sure to keep you in the loop, see how things develop. 

Thanks as ever, and do please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. 

Benji

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 2 weeks ago #971

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Benji,

Regarding Layered Textures
I have been going back and forth with Autodesk Support trying to get to the bottom of the Layered Texture evaluation issue in Carbon.
Long story short, there seems to be a bug in the Maya software which returns only (0,0,0) when we try to evaluate colors, and 0 when trying to evaluate alpha values of layered textures. The support person I was in touch with didn't think there are any workarounds right now.
Happy to give you more info if you want to know more, but in the end they issued a Change Request which goes directly to the coding team to fix that bug. Unfortunately, by the sounds of it, it goes into a bucket of requests and there is no way right now to say when and if they will fix it.
We do not have a direct link to anyone in that team, but if you do, ping me an email and maybe we can expedite the bug fix together.
Your company might have more sway than us at Numerion.

Regarding the middle example in your scene, when I set the file path to test_u1_v1.png and reset the simulation, I actually get a crash.
I can trace the crash to a Maya API call but it is not clear to me why it crashes.
If you rebuild just that middle example do you still get a crash?
If there is another Maya bug, it might be connected to the issue with Layered Textures, i.e. if the Layered Textures bug were fixed, it would probably also fix this.

Regarding this:

What I also failed to mention previously was that we would also need a means of choosing which UV set to use in Carbon. Is there any such functionality currently? I haven't seen as such, but I'm still digging. 

Some good news :) While it's currently not supported, we should be able to support that.
There are two potential approaches I can think of right now. Please do let me know if you can think if something else.
1) We can just query what the current uv set is and use that.
2) We can add a dropdown with all uv set names that let's you choose which one to use.
Somewhat like this:

Please don't be shy. Let me know exactly what would make the most sense from a user's perspective and we'll try to accommodate that.

Cheers,
Sebastian 
Attachments:

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 2 weeks ago #972

• benji
Hi Sebastian,
Thank you for getting back to me. Good grief, it sounds like it has been a trip; thank you very much indeed!

Regarding Layered Textures:
Hmm, well that is interesting. If it isn't a trouble, I would love to know more, either here or in an email. Also, where are you able to get the data values returned? I am finding a similar issue with file and ramp nodes that have any sort of procedural modifications added to them, such as remap value nodes, HSV nodes, or even modifying the colour balance controls on a file node. I can send a file tonight if that helps. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm wondering if there is any chance that it would be related. (If this should be broken out in a separate thread, do please let me know)
As for a contact at Autodesk, unfortunately I don't know of anyone, but I am still asking around. Will keep you posted on that front. 

Regarding...Single File UV Tiling? UDIMs? The middle example:
I built a scene just using a single file node with UV tiling , and I am still getting a crash on sim reset. Just for grins and giggles, I tried doing the same process with a standard Maya nCloth sim, and it also crashed. I managed to get a couple crash reports that I'm going to chase Autodesk up on myself, but if it can help, I can email you the report codes as well. Hopefully it is all part of the same issue with a relatively easy fix. 

Regarding UV Set Selection:
Hey hey! Thank you for a spot of good news; that is brilliant! I am still hoping for more feedback from the rest of the department, but so far the consensus is leaning towards a dropdown selection like option 2. I'll doubly agree with this, especially if it comes with the functionality of using different UV sets for different attributes. IE, map1 for stretch stiffness, map2 for stretch equilibrium,  map 3 for goal stiffness, etc. The more bespoke control, and the more obvious the result in a single interface, the better. Will let you know if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas, but I for one certainly toss my vote that way. 

Thank you again so much for your help.
Sincerely,
Benji

Last edit: by benji. Reason: Tweaking formatting

Attributes from Textures in multiple UDIMs 2 months 2 weeks ago #973

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Benji,

Regarding Layered Textures:
This is the forum post:  forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-programming/...exture/td-p/12526321
Took a minute to figure out what was actually going on. If you have any questions on this, maybe just email me.

Regarding...Single File UV Tiling? UDIMs? The middle example:
Yes, please email the report codes. My guess it that your issues with HSV, ramp, etc and the crash are all connected to MRenderUtil::eval2dTexture.
When using it with Layered Textures, it does not work, and in the case of Single File UV Tiling/UDMI, I got the crash in this function.
No clue why because I obviously don't have the actual Maya source code to debug, but all going into the function seem fine.
So hopefully if Autodesk has a look at your crash, they'll sort it all.

Regarding UV Set Selection:
There is no rush from our side right now, so take your time and talk to everyone.

Cheers,
Sebastian

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds