Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carbon cloth, reference mesh Angle threshold Detail map 8 months 6 days ago #918

• mikeCFC
  • mikeCFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,
I am finding that if I try to paint a detail map for the angle threshold attr (reference mesh section) on a Carbon cloth, it's not selecting the correct mesh to paint.
The selected reference mesh in the drop down is the original mesh shape.
Clicking the usual paint button in the AE causes Maya's Artisan tool to throw the error:

// Warning: file: /net/global/opt/autodesk/maya-2022.4/scripts/others/artAttrToolScript.mel line 91: Select an object that has paintable attributes. //

I tried to manually paint what I assume is the correct attr (flatAngleDetail?) directly from the Maya mesh paint menu but that doesn't seem correct either.
I tried the original and output meshes for this.

Any tips for getting this map painted correctly?

This is using Linux Maya 2022.4, Carbon 2.29.2

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbon cloth, reference mesh Angle threshold Detail map 8 months 6 days ago #919

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Mike,

We managed to reproduce an error like this and found a fix and a temporary workaround.
But to verify if this actually fixes your problem, it would be great if you could test the workaround.
If that solves your problem, we will include the fix in the next build (should be released in the next 2 months).

Just as a side note, you never need to paint the output mesh. The painted attribute is always read from the start mesh, or from the reference mesh if a ref mesh is specified. So no ref mesh means attribute is read from start mesh.

As for the temporary workaround, if your reference mesh (or start mesh if you don't have a ref mesh) is called pPlaneShape1, then before you paint, can you call this mel script please:
global string $gArtSelectObject;
$gArtSelectObject = "pPlaneShape1";

You should only have to do it the first time you try to paint on that mesh.
If you are painting a different mesh, let's say pSphereShape2, then you might have to call 
global string $gArtSelectObject;
$gArtSelectObject = "pSphereShape2";

As I said, if this fixes the problem, we will add the fix to the next build, i.e. internally call the script for the correct mesh first.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Last edit: by Sebastian.

Carbon cloth, reference mesh Angle threshold Detail map 8 months 6 days ago #920

• mikeCFC
  • mikeCFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Sebastian,
I set the reference drop down to 'None' and the painting worked as expected (using the start mesh shape) but with the original shape selected it wouldn't.
I ran the Mel command you suggested and it didn't paint, but switching to 'None' again (it did) then switching back to the shape it did work! Haha. I'm not sure which combination of things got it working.
I'm going to investigate some more and try some fresh scenes also. Thanks for the potential solution though. I'll report back if I find anything consistent.

P.S. thanks for clarifying that you never paint on the output mesh.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds