Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carbon stitching constrint and bend resistance 8 months 1 week ago #910

• mikeCFC
  • mikeCFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,
when creating a cloth stitching constraint is there any way to control what would effectivly be bend resistance on the constraint?
The equivalent in ncloth would be the tangent strength of the constraint.

For example two planes next to each other, like book pages, constrain the edges that touch. the pages then pivot like theres no bend resistence.
Can you suggest any way to add some kind of bend resistance there so that it would almost act as a continuation of the same mesh.

In the above example I have accomplished something akin to what I want using a second binding constrint with a radius (see screen shot attached).
That's fine here in this very simplistic example but in a complex set up this wouldnt be very useable at all.
Note that I might not always want a perfect continuation, so not an all or nothing solution.

Thanks.
Mike.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbon stitching constrint and bend resistance 8 months 1 week ago #911

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi Mike,

Being able to control angle (and stiffness) where a (zero-length) stitching is, is something we are actively working on.
We do have the core functionality implemented in the underlying libraries but still need to investigate how to best expose it to Houdini and Maya.
We are hoping to get this done in the next few months but I am not able to give you a precise timeline at this moment.

Meanwhile, what you are doing with the Binding is probably the best/easiest workaround for now.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Carbon stitching constrint and bend resistance 8 months 1 week ago #912

• mikeCFC
  • mikeCFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Oh thats good news thanks Sebastian.
I have a few other options too for now, I'm actualy going to overlap some of my sim meshes by a row or two of faces where I do need specific behaviour between mesh panels, that way I can use some constraints to stitch them solidly but the join (as it were) will get the dynamic behaviour from the cloth material itself.
Thanks again.

Carbon stitching constrint and bend resistance 8 months 1 week ago #913

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Mike,

That is similar to the approach we are testing right now, i.e. dynamically extend the meshes and stitch the overlap.
We are then adding the functionality to set an angle on a set of edges.
The later will also be its own node, allowing you to select a group of edges and set a fixed angle. This is more precise than the wrinkle limit functionality we have right now and comes in super handy for pleats and other sharp features.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Carbon stitching constrint and bend resistance 8 months 5 days ago #922

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

We are then adding the functionality to set an angle on a set of edges.
The later will also be its own node, allowing you to select a group of edges and set a fixed angle. This is more precise than the wrinkle limit functionality we have right now and comes in super handy for pleats and other sharp features.

I actually misspoke here. The Carbon Crease node was already released in version 2.29.0. My apologies.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds