Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is hair simulation suitable for Maya Carbon? 8 months 1 week ago #908

• chowooseoung
  • chowooseoung's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I know that there is an example of hair in the maya carbon example file. And I know that houdini carbon has more functions.

Then, is it best to use houdini for hair simulation?

If maya carbon hair simulation has enough features to use in vfx, I don't want to use houdini.

If hair simulation is possible in maya carbon, it would be good to have more various tutorials.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is hair simulation suitable for Maya Carbon? 8 months 1 week ago #909

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi  chowooseoung ,

All Carbon functionality that is required for hair (shown here:  numerion-software.com/solutions/features/carbon-edge-collision ) is available in both our Maya and Houdini plugin.
Please note that this was a prototype project, so we do not have a full pipeline.
I have attached a pdf for you which explains the setup.
We did not create the groom and renders ourselves, so the hardest part would be to create the groom and then also convert it to lattice for simulation. And then back to curves for rendering after simulation.
If you know how to do this is Maya, then using the prototype workflow should be straightforward for you.

In have played around with it a bit in Houdini before, using the Houdini grooming tools. Please forgive me bad grooming skills. That was my first attempt at using the Houdini grooming tools.
I found it relatively straightforward to do a procedural setup using the groom, especially since it already clumps hairs and marks clumps with ids.
Here is my network where I took the curves and avatar head and converted to lattices (with a Sweep Sop), then used for loops to procedurally create the simulation nodes.
Afterwards, since I know the lattice tessellation, I can just use a pointwrangle to update the positions of the curves:

I hope this all makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knyzev

Is hair simulation suitable for Maya Carbon? 8 months 6 days ago #915

• Knyzev
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!
I haven't purchased the Maya plugin yet. I want to clarify a few questions
That is, I can make a curve simulation, and then transfer this simulation to xgen? I'm wondering, with this plugin, what control I'll have for the curve. 

Is hair simulation suitable for Maya Carbon? 8 months 6 days ago #916

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hey  Knyzev ,

As per:  numerion-software.com/solutions/features/carbon-edge-collision , we actually do not simulate curves; we only collide with curves.
We split the notion of cloth features like bending, stretching, surface preservation, etc, .., from the notion of collision. So having a quad cloth mesh does not mean that you need to collide with the quads, you can select a subset of edges of the quads to collide only.
We simulate triangle/quad meshes but you can set the collision to be specific edges only.
So for hair, if you have a lattice which is let's say two quads wide, you have a center line (i.e. between each pair of quads), and you can select this as collision geometry. So you basically have curve simulation in terms of collision, but the underlying constraints/cloth is still quad based. This means you have all constraints (like binding and stitching) available as it's still a Cloth. Also, having the cloth geometry allows you to control bending and stretching and preserve angles.
That's how we kept the curls in the example.
So in summary, you have a lattice geometry cloth for hair, but the actual collision is curves.
And please keep in mind that we do not have any custom tools to convert curves to lattice and back. You need to use your own tools or tools built into Maya.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Sebastian

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds