Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #894

• mikeCFC
  • mikeCFC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi there,
I just have a couple of questions regarding painting weight maps.
Firstly is there a way to list all potential weight maps for a carbon node?
For example I can see when painting bend stiffness it is the .bendStiffnessDetail attr that contains the weight array data, but before that attr is registered and made paintable (using the carbonSetUpPaintAttribute function) then is doesn't exist, so I can't just list all attrs on a carbon node and list all *Detail attrs for example.

Secondly, in the above example what is the .bendStiffnessMap attr used for? I can't seem to work out what this does.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #895

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi mikeCFC,

Most of the information you are looking for can be found in our plugin documentation which comes with the installer.
Furthermore, you can always find the latest documentation here:  download.numerion-software.com/Carbon-Cloth-for-Maya-Docs
If you then go to the Carbon Cloth Reference page, it will list the name of each painted attribute under the relevant "Detail Parameters" section.
For Bend Stiffness, you will find this:

StiffnessIn Per-Vertex mode: Painted point attribute name: 

bendStiffness

And then just add Detail to it to get the name.
Most attributes are paintable and the name tends to be usually straightforward.

Also, here is just a quick summary of how attributes / paint maps work in Carbon:
Without painted maps, you can only have uniform value per cloth, meaning a single Bend Stiffness for a single cloth.
But sometimes you just want to stiffen up a section of the cloth and you don't want to have to split the cloth into two separate cloths.
This is where the painted maps come it.
Almost every Cloth attribute is composed by Base, Range, and Detail.
Internally, the actual value for, e.g. Bend Stiffness, is calculated with the following formula:
Value = Base + Range * Detail.
So obviously, if you don't have a map, it doesn't matter what range is and the final Value is equal to Base.
As a use case, you might imagine a simple polo shirt which is made from a single welded mesh, i.e. we have only one cloth.
You probably want to tune the Bend Stiffness Base value to get your desired behavior for the majority of the polo shirt, but most likely this will mean that the collar isn't as stiff and you might like it to be.
So now, you would paint the collar, let's say paint a value to 1 and leave the rest to 0.
Then you can play with the Bend Stiffness Range value to increase the stiffness of the collar.
I hope this makes sense.
In the documentation, if you go to the User Guide section and then read the "Painted Attribute Maps" guide, it will explain to you some more as well.

Secondly, in the above example what is the .bendStiffnessMap attr used for? I can't seem to work out what this does.

When you go to the Detail section of Bend Stiffness, you should as default see a dropdown that says "Per-Vertex".
This allows you to paint the attribute with a brush.
Now, the downside of painting attributes is that when you change the tessellation of the input mesh, you have to repaint.
That's why we added a section option: "Texture".
Assuming your mesh has uvs, you can provide a texture instead of a paint map. Carbon will use the alpha values of the texture instead of a painted map in this case.
And the texture will be connected to .bendStiffnessMap. See screenshot attached.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attachments:

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #896

• mikeCFC
Sorry, I'm going through the help and reference at the minute.
Is there a map to control field magnitude per cloth?

So far Ive found...

You do not have permissions to access this page.

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #897

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi MikeCFC,

It looks like you are referencing an internal copy of the Carbon docs that we don't have permission to view.
Here is the external Carbon Cloth for Maya docs if you can reference that it would help us. 
carbon-for-maya-2291.numerion-software.com/

Thanks

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #898

• mikeCFC
Sorry that was an image I was trying to upload with a list of paintable attributes I have found.
Please ignore that for now.
My main question there was just about controling per cloth field magnitudes with a map and if that was possible.

map and detail attributes and painting weight maps 9 months 1 week ago #899

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 28
So you can control the Carbon Flow fields on a per cloth basis. Within the Carbon Flow Node UI you can pick which nodes are affected by that Carbon Flow Node.

On each cloth you can adjust the aerodynamic properties per vertex with a paint map and you can also animate the aerodynamic values. So if you wanted an area of a cloth unaffected by flow you could paint it to have zero form drag, skin drag and lift.

Hope that helps.

Last edit: by admin.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds