Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #822

• hairgreatgod123
  • hairgreatgod123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. I found a model test. I substituted the official feather case file. I extracted the middle curve of the feather, and then used the vertex of the curve to generate the feather of carbon,. But I found that I didn't know how to replace the original model with carbon's feathers. Because it cannot match the original length, size, position and shape. How can I use carbon to solve the original model? I have no idea at all. Ask for your help, thank you
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by hairgreatgod123.

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #823

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 38
Hi  hairgreatgod123 ,

First, may I ask which plugin version you are using, so that we can give you the best help possible?

Next, there are two main ways to create feathers: Carbon Plumage and Carbon N-Lattice.
In our documentation, we have a User Guide about N-Lattice, in which we explain the difference between the two:

First of all, Carbon Plumage works with soft and hard feathers, while Carbon N-Lattice only supports lattice simulations that can be used for soft feathers.For soft and hard Carbon Plumage, we only require the user to specify 1 to 3 base feathers and the system then interpolates between these to generate the individual feathers in a procedural manner. Our target for the soft and hard plumage was to provide a fast and easy way to create and simulate feathers on creatures. This feature is perfect for applications where smaller creatures or a large amount of creatures have to be created fast, removing the need for artists to place and deform each feather individually, therefore cutting production time and cost. For examples of these type of plumages, please refer to Plumage Setup and Multiple Plumages.On the other hand, creating plumages with Carbon N-Lattice is most suited for hero-creatures, which usually come with a whole set of feathers. These feathers are carefully placed and deformed individually, often manually, in very specific and unique ways. With the feathers having been created by skilled artists, the plumage is ready for simulation without the need for Carbon to procedurally spawn and deform them. Carbon N-Lattice directly works with complete sets of lattice feathers within a single geometry to cater to such applications.

I am mentioning this here because it sounds like you already have a set of feathers?
If that is the case, maybe N-Lattice might be the easier approach?
There is just one crucial condition for N-Lattice: All feathers in a single N-Lattice node must have the same tessellation, i.e. same number and order of points and triangles/quads.

We also have tutorials for both N-Lattice and Plumage in the documentation, which might make it easier to understand how they each work.

If you are still struggling, it might be worth sharing the hip file (if you are able to), so that I can have a closer look.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sebastian

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #824

• hairgreatgod123
Thank you for your explanation. I still have a headache about how to program feathers. Because there are too many problems with the model of this feather. Below I will provide a screenshot of the instance file and the version of carbon and Houdini. You can have a look. thank you 

File Attachment:

File Name: Feather_test1.zip
File Size:639 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Feather_test1.zip
File Size:639 KB
Attachments:

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #825

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi  hairgreatgod123 ,

I had a look at your file and set up your scene using the Carbon N-Lattice node. Please see file attached.

The reason why I decided to not use Carbon Plumage is that Carbon Plumage is very good for when you start with a set of base feathers (that have the same topology).
But you already had a full set of feathers, all very unique in tessellation and styled very nicely. So it would be very hard to recreate this using Carbon Plumage.

Since you also had a set of curves, it was relatively easy to create lattices with consistent topology, which can be used for the Carbon N-Lattice node.

If you add further attributes to the curves, like feather width and taper, I am sure you can make the procedurally generated lattice geometry match your feathers even closer than they do right now.

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairgreatgod123

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #826

• hairgreatgod123
Thank you very much for your help. This demonstration brightened my eyes. I may already know how to choose whether to use carbon n-Lattice or carbon plume to create feathers. Next, I'll familiarize myself with your documents. Your idea makes me hope for simulated feathers. Thank you again for your help

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #827

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Happy to help :)

Just fyi, we have two customer Case Studies on the use of Carbon Plumage.
They both used it from the beginning to build up their birds.
They hand modelled and animated/simulated the larger "hero feather", and then used Carbon Plumage to spawn hundreds of smaller feathers to cover the rest of the wings, body, head.
This is really the power of Carbon Plumage: To procedurally create hundreds or thousands of unique feathers.
You can see how this can also be used to create scales on reptiles/fish, or leaves on trees, etc.
Here are the links to the case studies:
SEHSUCHT - ENBW GUTER STOFF
KELLER.IO - "ABRAXAS" FROM THE GERMAN MOVIE "DIE KLEINE HEXE"

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #828

• hairgreatgod123
Hello, I noticed that the carbon n-Lattice node of the file you gave me is sealed, and I can't create this node myself in hoduini. Is it because my houdini18.5.563 version does not support my current 9.8 carbon?

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #829

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Carbon N-Lattice has been around for a while, it was initially released in version 8.4.0.

The most likely case is that your SIM_CarbonTool installer does not exactly match the Houdini version, i.e. 18.5.563.
We recommend using the matching installer as SideFX tend to make changes between versions that can break binary compatibility.
So while you can often get away with non-matching versions if the version numbers are very close, we do not recommend this.

I'll send you an email with follow up questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairgreatgod123

On the problem of solving the feather substitution model of carbon 1 year 10 months ago #831

• hairgreatgod123
Thank you for your help.. My current version is compatible. I want to ask why the simulation becomes abnormal after I change the lattice model. Even if I change the value of lattice width according to the number of points in the lattice model, I still cannot simulate normally. The documents are as follows. I noticed that this is related to the model generated by the python1 node. But I don't understand the expression in python1 node. I don't know if I change the value in python1 to the same number of points as my lattice model. Can this be achieved with simplified nodes. I don't know much about vex. I hope there is a more convenient way to realize and modify the feather I want. I hope you can help me, thanks a lot
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds